Table of contents
Fitness plays a huge role not only in children’s health but also in their brain development, growth and behavioral development. While there are numerous fitness options, swimming for kids is an essential life skill they need to learn. However, many people constantly ask: What is the best age to start swimming lessons? or if one can teach a baby to swim?
In this article, we’ll discuss the best age to start swimming lessons, how long it takes for a child to learn how to swim and what to look for when choosing swimming lessons for kids:
What is the best age to start swimming lessons?
When it comes to children’s development, each child is different and progresses at a different rate. The age for starting swimming for kids heavily varies on a child’s emotional maturity, physical abilities, cognitive development, as well as how comfortable they feel in the water.
However, most children should be ready to start taking swimming lessons by the age of 4. In fact, because of the brain’s development and a child’s ability to understand certain instructions by that age, most swimming centers only start accepting children after the age of 4.
Can a baby learn to swim between 0-6 months?
While a baby shows reflex swimming movements when in the water, teaching a baby under 1 to swim is not recommended as they are still unable to lift their heads out of the water enough to breathe. This could put your baby at risk of drowning and is best to stay away from it until they’re physically and mentally ready.
What to look for in a swimming center for kids?
Swimming is a vital life skill that every child should learn. However, some swimming instructors can be so aggressive that they can make children feel uncomfortable in the water and develop a negative connotation to swimming. When teaching your children to swim, here are a few things you should look for:
- Experienced and qualified trainers
- A calm instructor who will be patient with children
- A low number of kids in the same class
- A center that will allow you to watch or sit in for the first class to ensure your child is safe and in good hands
- An instructor that will teach safety tips and what to do if a child finds themselves in the water all of a sudden
- Heated/indoor pools for cold weather
- Good hygiene and clean pools
- 10 Fun Exercises For Mommies and Toddlers
- Mom and Child Fitness Activities At The Cloud
- 8 Discounted Kids’ Play Areas Using Rahet Bally Card
Sources used in this article:
- Swim Lessons: When to Start and What Should Parents Should KnowSwim Lessons: When to Start and What Should Parents Should Know – Healthy Children
Rahet Bally is every mother’s support system, join the biggest community of moms in Egypt, save on your daily motherhood expenses with our Rahet Bally Discount Card, and get back in shape and eat clean with our tailored Rahet Bally’s Motherhood Fitness & Nutrition Program.