Dark spots around the knees and elbows are quite common for all skin types and tones. You don’t have to skip wearing short dresses or sleeveless tops to hide those areas. There are many easy home remedies that can solve this problem.
Using home remedies to get rid of dark knees and elbows is highly recommended. You will avoid the risk of medicated products’ side effects. Besides, they are affordable options that are available at any home. Here are 6 home remedies to help remove dark areas around your elbows and knees and cleanse your skin.
Causes of dark knees and elbows:
- Accumulation of dead skin cells due to lack of exfoliation
- Hyperpigmentation due to sun exposure
- Hormonal changes
- Contraceptive pills
- Melasma during pregnancy
- Skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis
- Inflammation due to an injury
- Pigmentation due to aging
- Friction because of skin’s contact with certain fabrics
Home remedies for dark knees and elbows:
- Baking soda
- Oatmeal + yogurt
- Olive oil + sugar
Baking soda doesn’t work only as a bleaching ingredient for dark knees and elbows. It also exfoliates the skin.
- Mix a teaspoon of baking soda with some water.
- Add and stir until you have the desired amount.
- Apply to knees and elbow.
- Leave it for 10 – 15 minutes, then rinse off.
- Repeat this process twice a week.
Oatmeal + yogurt
These two ingredients can give you a super moisturizing mask as dryness is one of the main reasons behind the darkness of knees and elbows.
- Take oatmeal and yogurt in equal quantities forming a thick mixture.
- Apply the mask on your knees and elbows for 20 minutes. Then rinse.
According to the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health, turmeric powder is effective with many skin conditions, especially dark parts of the body.
- Mix turmeric powder with water.
- Apply the paste to elbows and knees.
- Leave it for 10 minutes, then rinse off.
Lemon is one of the top natural things that work well in whitening knees and elbows.
- Squeeze some fresh lime juice.
- Gently massage it on the knees and elbows.
- Leave it for 10 minutes, then wash it off with lukewarm water.
Olive oil + sugar
This is a magical mix that can give you an effective bleaching scrub. Sugar acts as a natural exfoliant that removes dead skin cells giving you a brighter tone. Olive oil is a nourishing hydro-bomb.
- Mix one to two tablespoons of olive oil with a spoonful of sugar. You can also add some lime juice or a few drops of any essential oil.
- Apply the mixture on your knees and elbows, then massage it gently.
- Leave it for 5 minutes, then wash off with soap and water.
- How to Treat Acne in Four Days: Home Remedies for Acne
- Top 12 Beauty Products in Egypt Under EGP 200
- 7 Natural Anti-Aging Remedies for Your Skin
Sources used in this article:
- Remedies for dark elbows – Healthline
- Turmeric – National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health
Rahet Bally is every mother’s support system, join the biggest community of moms in Egypt, save on your daily motherhood expenses with our Rahet Bally Discount Card, and get back in shape and eat clean with our tailored Rahet Bally’s Motherhood Fitness & Nutrition Program.