Table of contents
Easter for some of us means enjoying a sunny day out in an open space, while for many others, Easter means enjoying different herring recipes that we impatiently wait for from one year to another. Since we will be staying home this Easter and eating three meals a day has become a myth, here some herring recipes that you will definitely love.
I will also guide you through cleaning your herring and preparing it for boneless fillet recipes.
Herring cleaning steps
- You will need a sharp knife and kitchen gloves.
- On a cutting board, cut the head of the fish with a sharp knife.
- Open the fish from the side next to the fin and remove all organs and intestines.
- Open the fish like a book, remove the spinal column, and remove all the thorns.
- Make sure there are no black traces inside.
- Dip it in oil and lemon for at least an hour.
- 500 gm pasta (spaghetti or fettuccine)
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 red chili, sliced
- 1/2 a bunch of fresh parsley, chopped
- Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 4 boneless herring fish (cut into small pieces)
- Cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Lemon juice
- Cook the pasta in boiled salted water.
- Put a frying pan on high heat and add olive oil. Once hot, add the garlic, chili, capers, and parsley. Stir for 2 minutes or until color changes.
- Add the herring and stir for 2 minutes, then add the tomatoes and lemon juice.
- Add the pasta, pour some water. Stir for a couple of minutes, then add salt and pepper.
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 boiled eggs, cubed
- Curry powder
- Chopped lettuce
- Boneless fillet herring slices
- Chopped dill
- Bread (Fino or baguette)
- Spread the bread with butter.
- Season the mayonnaise with curry powder, then mix with the egg cubes.
- Add the lettuce inside the sandwich, then cover with the egg mixture.
- Add the herring slice.
- Garnish with dill.
Herring and Sour Cream Dip
- Sour cream
- Cream cheese
- Boneless fillet herring (cut into small pieces)
- Lemon zest
- Black pepper
- Blend all ingredients in the blender or food processor until the paste is smooth
- Keep the dip in the fridge and take it out 30 minutes before serving.
- You can serve it with roasted toast or sliced veggies.
- 450 gm boneless sliced herring fish
- Bunch of dill
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dry coriander
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup whey yogurt
- 2 teaspoons salt added to 1 cup of water
- At the bottom of a big glass jar, place the dill, chili flakes, bay leaves, onion slices, and coriander.
- Add the whey yogurt and water.
- Finally, add the herring.
- Close the jar and keep it in a dark place for 24 hours.
- After the 24 hours, you can eat the pickled herring but keep it in the fridge.
Herring and Beetroot Salad
- 3 beets boiled
- 2 potatoes boiled
- 2 apples
- 3 pickled cucumbers
- 1 onion
- 100 gm boneless fillet herring
- 2 eggs boiled
- 100 gm peas boiled
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Cut all ingredients into cubes and put them in a bowl.
- Add the sour cream, mayonnaise, and mustard, season with salt and pepper, and mix.
- Then refrigerate it.
Further reading: How to Dye Easter Eggs With Food Coloring.