Losing weight in Ramadan sounds like an impossible thing to do, right? Actually, Ramadan is a great opportunity to lose weight due to the long hours spent fasting which prevents you from unnecessary snacking and extra calories. However, in order to lose weight in Ramadan, you need to start focusing on eating healthy, low-calorie meals when you break your fast.
This doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy all the traditional Egyptian Ramadan foods. In this article, you’ll find a low-calorie recipe for one of the most common Egyptian foods you can eat for Iftar: stuffed vegetables or mahshi.
When you cook this low-calorie meal, drink lots of water and reduce your sugar intake, you’re bound to start your weight-loss journey during Ramadan.
- 1 kg zucchini
- 1 kg eggplants
- 1 large cup of rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 fresh tomatoes, blended
- 100 ml tomato sauce
- 1 bunch of fresh parsley
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
How to prepare the vegetables:
- Wash the vegetables well
- Remove the inside of the vegetables, or buy ready-to-cook mahshi vegetables with the interior removed already.
Instructions for stuffed vegetables filling:
- Blend the garlic cloves and onion together and set aside.
- Add the fresh tomatoes with the tomato juice and blend to a juice consistency.
- In a pan, add the tablespoon of oil with the blended onion and garlic paste and leave to simmer.
- Rinse the rice in cold water, drain it, and then add to the pan. Stir well to ensure ingredients are being mixed.
- Add the chopped parsley, mixed spices, salt, and pepper. Mix well and turn the heat off without cooking the rice.
Instructions for cooking the low-calorie mahshi:
- Fill the zucchini and eggplant with the rice mixture. Avoid filling it too much as the rice grows when cooked.
- At the bottom of a pot, place the sliced onion and add the vegetables standing up.
- Add vegetable or chicken stock and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- 10 Delicious Ramadan Soup Recipes for Iftar
- 11 Ramadan Recipes By Egyptian Food Bloggers You Need to Try for Iftar
- 11 Egyptian Ramadan Desserts that Cost Less than EGP 200
Rahet Bally is every mother’s support system, join the biggest community of moms in Egypt, save on your daily motherhood expenses with our Rahet Bally Discount Card, and get back in shape and eat clean with our tailored Rahet Bally’s Motherhood Fitness & Nutrition Program.