While menopause is a natural process, it is not an easy transition. It is such a critical phase in every woman’s life. With all the changes her body goes through and all the changes she endures, there are so many aspects a menopausal woman must put into consideration; one of those factors is her diet.
As the saying goes “You are what you eat.” A woman going through menopause should watch out what she eats and what she shouldn’t eat to make this tough phase easier on her mind and body.
This article will give you a brief on what foods a woman going through menopause should eat and avoid to make the transition easier on herself and ease any symptoms.
Food to eat
- Dairy products: As menopause causes a woman’s estrogen level to decrease, her risk of bone fracture increases, and eating calcium-rich dairy products such as yogurt, milk, and cheese is important for a woman going through menopause.
- Healthy fats: Eating omega-rich fatty fish such as salmon, mackerel, and tuna may help decrease one of the main symptoms of menopause which is hot flashes.
- Healthy protein: The decrease in estrogen leads to weak muscles and bones; hence, eating healthy protein is vital for a woman going through menopause. Foods such as eggs, meat, fish, and legumes are rich in protein.
- Fruits and vegetables: They are packed with nutrients, minerals, and antioxidants. Eating at least two cups of vegetables and one cup and a half of fruits each day is recommended for women going through menopause.
- Iron-rich food: It is recommended that women going through menopause eat at least three servings of iron per day. Iron is found in green leafy vegetables, poultry, and meat.
Food to avoid
- Sugar and processed food: Foods which are high in sugar raise your blood sugar. Therefore, limiting these kinds of foods may help decrease hot flashes.
- Alcohol and caffeine: Heavy alcohol consumption may increase a menopausal woman’s risk of cardiovascular disease. In addition, excess alcohol may also increase hot flashes. Therefore, it is recommended to moderately drink alcohol. As for caffeine, drinking a lot of it may also increase your risk of hot flashes.
- Spicy food: Some studies conducted stated that women who eat spicy food have more anxiety and hot flashes and their menopause symptoms worsened. Therefore, it is recommended to limit your spicy food intake
- High-salt food: Eating high-salt foods has been linked to women suffering low bone density after menopause. Therefore, it is recommended that women going through menopause lower their salt intake to help decrease any symptoms.
Rahet Bally is every mother’s support system, join the biggest community of moms in Egypt, save on your daily motherhood expenses with our Rahet Bally Discount Card, and get back in shape and eat clean with our tailored Rahet Bally’s Motherhood Fitness & Nutrition Program.
- Menopause and Good Nutrition- WebMD
- 6 Food to Avoid During Menopause- Everyday Health
- Menopause Diet: How What You Eat Affects Your Symptoms
- Menopause Diet: How What You Eat Affects Your Symptoms- Healthline
- Menopause: What Is It? What Are Its Symptoms?
- Top 7 Excercises for Women Over 40
- Top 10 skin care products for women over 40