Table of contents
As of the 2nd of February 2020, there will be a few changes when it comes to Schengen visa rules that you should be aware of. According to the Schengen Visa Info, here’s what you need to know:
What Is Set to Change for Visa Applicants?
The procedure for visa applications is set to change, making the process easier.
Here are 5 main changes updated by the new visa code:
Higher visa fees
Unfortunately, there will be a 33% increase in visa fees for adults. Here are the new expected mandatory non-refundable visa application fees:
- Adults who used to pay €60 will now pay €80
- Children between 6-12 years of age who used to pay €35 will now pay €40
- Children below 6 years of age are exempt from visa fees
Applications can now be submitted six months in advance
While travelers could only book appointments three months before their travel dates, they can now book it six months in advance making travel plans a whole lot easier.
Most countries will benefit from electronic application forms
The updated visa code also allows application forms to be completed and submitted electronically most of the time. It will also allow applicants to use electronic signatures to facilitate visa processing.
A representative of every Schengen country will be available to process visa admissions
No more traveling or sending passports to neighboring countries to get a visa, as every Schengen country will be required to find a representative in each country to process visa applications on their behalf even if an embassy doesn’t exist.
Longer validity periods for frequent travelers
The good news is, for travelers who have a positive history within the Schengen area will not only be granted multiple entry, but also visas with a validity of up to five years. This will be decided based on the following criteria:
- Travelers who have actually used their previous Schengen visas
- Travelers who frequently issue and travel to Schengen countries
- Showing intent to return to country of origin
- Solid economic and financial stability in the country of origin