Table of contents
During pregnancy, you may face complications that differ from person to person. It is important to monitor any changes you may feel during pregnancy and if something feels wrong, visit your doctor as soon as possible.
A rare complication that occurs in pregnancy is polyhydramnios. Although polyhydramnios is not considered a life-threatening complication, your doctor will ask you to monitor your situation closely to prevent any further complications.
What is polyhydramnios?
Polyhydramnios is when there is excess amniotic fluid surrounding the baby during pregnancy. This fluid protects your baby against bumps and any injuries. Too much or too little amniotic fluid is considered an issue during your pregnancy.
What are the symptoms?
Women with polyhydramnios usually do not show any symptoms unless it is an extremely severe case.
Symptoms may include:
- Shortness of breath
- Mild contractions
- Swollen Ankles and feet
What causes polyhydramnios?
- If you are pregnant with twins or triplets
- Gestational diabetes
- The baby has trouble swallowing the amniotic fluid
- Problems with the baby’s lungs, nervous system, or genes
- The baby has an infection
- Fetal anemia
Risks linked to polyhydramnios
Although most women diagnosed with polyhydramnios usually do not suffer from any further complications, the following risks may occur:
- Giving birth at week 37
- Baby unable to reposition with head down due to the excessive fluid
- Your baby has a health condition
- Early water breaking
- Heavy bleeding after birth
If you are diagnosed with polyhydramnios, your doctor will require additional ultrasounds to measure the fluid around your baby and check for any fetal abnormalities.
Your doctor may also check for gestational diabetes and ask for an amniocentesis which is a test where amniotic fluid sample is taken to test for any genetic abnormalities in your baby.
- Polyhydramnios – Mayo Clinic
- Polyhydramnios (too much amniotic fluid) – NHS
- Polyhydramnios – Cleveland Clinic
- Symptoms and Earliest Signs of Being Pregnant with Twins
- Newborn Twins Essentials: 12 Items You Need to Buy in Bulk
- Swelling During Pregnancy: When to Worry
Rahet Bally is every mother’s support system, join the biggest community of moms in Egypt, save on your daily motherhood expenses with our Rahet Bally Discount Card, and get back in shape and eat clean with our tailored Rahet Bally’s Motherhood Fitness & Nutrition Program.