More often than not, a child’s tantrum is recognized or treated as bad behavior. However, sometimes what we think of as misbehavior is actually a cry for help. When children need therapy, they can display several signs and symptoms that are so easy to dismiss or treat as a tantrum, outburst, or thinking it is children being children.
When it comes to mental illness or behavioral and emotional disturbances in children, there are warning signs parents should keep an eye out for. If you think your child might be struggling with emotional distress, therapy for kids can be extremely beneficial.
What are the warning signs of mental illness in children?
Warning signs that your child may have a mental health disorder include:
- Ongoing sadness that lasts for two weeks or longer
- Withdrawal signs or difficulty conducting social interactions
- Self-harm or discussing self-harm
- Talking about death or suicide
- Extreme irritability or emotional outburst
- Out-of-control behavior that can be harmful
- Severe mood swings
- Unexpected behavior and changes in personality
- Changes in eating habits
- Weight loss
- Difficulty sleeping and nightmares
- Frequent headaches or stomachaches
- Difficulty concentrating and focusing
- Changes in academic performance
- Excessive fear, worry, or crying
- Separation anxiety
What to do if you suspect your child has a mental illness or behavioral disorder?
Does your kid need a therapist? Or are they just misbehaving? If your child is acting out of the ordinary and against what you’re used to, it is best to check with their doctor to see if these could be signs that something is troubling your child. The best thing to do is look up one of these behavioral counslers for advice or visit one of these Egyptian centers and have a professional assess your child for mental illness or behavioral difficulties.
How can a therapist help your child?
Child behavioral therapists can not only spot if your child has a behavioral issue or mental illness, but can also help treat your child, offering coping mechanisms, and tips and tricks to make your child deal with the problem, too. The first step to treating a disease or disorder is by identifying what the root of the problem is and that’s what a child therapist can do.
- 10 Behavioral Counslers for Children in Cairo
- How to Spot Series: ADHD vs Normal Behavior in Children
- Behavioral Issues You Didn’t Know Were Caused By Your Child’s Allergies
Sources used in this article:
- It’s Not Bad Behavior: Recognizing Signs of Mental Illness in Children – Healthline
- Signs your child may need a therapist – Cleveland Clinic
- What are the causes and symptoms of emotional distress? – Medical News Today
- Mental illness in Children: Know the signs – Mayo Clinic