Definitely, you paid hard-earned hundreds to get the perfect color for your hair, so you want to keep it intact for as long as possible. There are some common mistakes most women unknowingly do when coloring their hair. The more care you give your hair, the longer time the color lasts. We’ve rounded up a few things you should avoid after dyeing your hair to keep the color fresh and shiny.
Things you should never do to dyed hair:
- Frequent direct sun exposure
- Frequent hair washing
- Using the wrong hair products
- Drying roughly
- Excessive use of heat
Frequent direct sun exposure
Ultraviolet rays can penetrate the cuticle of the hair, thus bleaching the color. If you will spend time in a sunny place, make sure to cover your hair. It’s also recommended to apply a hydrating mask before going out and spray your hair with a little bit of hair sunscreen.
Chlorine in pool water strips your hair color, especially with blonde shades. Besides, Seawater depletes even more moisture from hair because the salt absorbs the water causing your hair to become dry, brittle, and susceptible to breakage. Therefore, the color fades. It’s difficult to avoid swimming totally since summer is coming. There are some precautions you can take to protect your hair color and enjoy swimming at the same time.
- Before swimming, shampoo and condition your hair.
- You can apply The Hair Addict swim-proof serum before swimming. Buy here.
- Then, apply a leave-in conditioner to increase the hair moisture. Using a hair sunscreen will also help protect the follicles from losing moisture.
- After swimming, rinse your hair and spray it with a leave-in conditioner.
- As soon as you can, shampoo your hair. You can also apply a hair mask to increase the hair’s moisture and shine.
Frequent hair washing
Hair dye’s worst enemies are shampoo and water. Wash your hair less often to retain its natural oils that help condition your colored hair. Avoid hot water in specific because it lifts the outer cuticle layer which is one of the most common reasons that color fades.
Rinsing your colored hair is recommended with lukewarm or cold water. Wash your colored hair every two to three days to protect it. If you have oily hair that might get greasy if not shampooed every day, you can use dry shampoo which will not affect your hair color.
Using the wrong hair products
Dyed hair needs extreme care using suitable products, especially to hydrate it. Colored hair is more likely to get dry and brittle. That’s why it essentially needs a conditioner, specialized for dyed hair. It helps create a layer that protects your hair color. Conditioned hair also helps your color look shinier and more even. Using the conditioner every time you shampoo your hair is necessary. For a moisture boost, you can use a leave-in conditioner. Also, make sure you’re using a color-protecting shampoo. Most important, avoid products that contain sulfate or alcohol.
- Sulfate contains salt that strips away moisture. This is the main reason behind hair color fading.
- Alcohol dries your hair strands which cause breakage and color fade.
Scrubbing your hair too hard not only can fade your hair color but also makes it drier. It’s better to gently blot your hair and let it air dry.
Excessive use of heat
Heat does serious harm to your colored hair, especially lighter tones. Excess heat strips out the natural moisture from your hair leaving it dry and more prone to split ends. Besides, it opens the cuticle of the hair, so the pigments of the color disappear. If you’re obliged to use heat, change the way you’re using it.
- Don’t use the hairdryer, straightener, or curling iron at maximum temperature.
- When using a hairdryer, start at the roots and finish at the ends.
- Avoid drying your hair with the blow dryer immediately after washing it. Let it dry for about 10 minutes to absorb the excess moisture.
- Before using an iron or straightener, apply a heat protectant spray which acts as a protective layer.
- How to Highlight Your Hair at Home
- Best Hair Colors for Pale Skin
- Top 10 Hair Coloring Salons in Sheikh Zayed