My strawberry cake is not only moist and fluffy on the inside, but also full of fresh strawberry flavor and so easy to make. The strawberry sauce just gives an extra kick of flavor, always make a lot of it and serve it on the side for more deliciousness.
This recipe is also a great chance to make use of fresh strawberries nowadays, it’s their season and I love adding fresh fruits inside my cakes as little surprises in every bite. When they get baked in the oven, their flavors get more complicated and more delicious. So, let’s get our ovens ready and start baking.
- 2 eggs in room temperature
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 1 cup of sour cream in room temperature
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 350 gms of fresh strawberries cut into cubes
For the strawberry sauce
- 400 gms of strawberries
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Red food coloring (Optional)
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Butter and flour your cake tin. I use a bundt cake pan. You can use cooking spray if available.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together your dry ingredients -the flour, the baking powder, and the salt- using a wire whisk and set them aside.
- Using the electric mixer, whisk together the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract on high speed until the mixture doubles in volume and gets pale in color.
- Add the oil and continue whisking, then add the sour cream and whisk until everything is incorporated.
- Start adding your dry ingredients, mix in 2 batches, and then mix it with the other ingredients using a rubber spatula until all ingredients are incorporated, don’t over mix.
- Add your fresh strawberries and give it a final stir with your rubber spatula.
- Bake your cake at 180 degrees Celsius in a preheated oven, for about 45-50 minutes until a toothpick is inserted inside your cake and comes out clean.
- Leave your cake to cool down on a wire rack for 15 minutes then flip it on a serving plate and leave it to cool down, or you can serve it slightly warm if you like.
- Most of the cakes are better eaten the same day, but if you have some leftovers, store it in an airtight container.
Instructions for making the strawberry sauce
- To make the strawberry sauce, mix together all the ingredients in a saucepan on medium heat and cover the pan.
- When the strawberries start to soften start to mash them with a fork or potato masher and for more reddish color add a few drops of food coloring.
- Leave the sauce to cool down and drizzle it on your cake or serve it on the side.
- You can store leftover sauce in an airtight container in the fridge.
- You can also serve your cake with more fresh strawberries, a dollop of cream, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream